Friday, March 7, 2014

floral clock

In honour of the time change this weekend (it's worth losing an hour if we get more sunshine, isn't it?) I thought I'd show some of my postcards of the Niagara Floral Clock. You can find it on the Niagara Parkway across from the Adam Beck Generating Station near Queenston.

This one shows the crests of the ten provinces. I'm not sure why the two territories were not included to make it easier to read the time - maybe that would have been too crowded and difficult to see the details. I also am not sure why they are shown in a seemingly random order.




The clock was built in 1950 by Ontario Hydro after the chief engineer made a visit to the Princes' Street Gardens clock in Edinburgh 
Since 1977, the clock has been maintained by the Niagara Parks and the design is changed each year. you can read about the history here

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful. You must stop by and see Guelph's floral clock in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some floral clock postcards too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is great! I love flowers and to combine them as a working clock -- wonderful! I'm not, however, fond of the silly time change...make it one way or the other and leave it alone! Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's amazing. Last time I was at Niagara Falls, it was winter and snowing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And the last time I was at Niagara Falls and had a look at that clock, it was August and there was nothing blooming. I was quite disappointed. I didn't know that the design is changed every year, so maybe the design that year was to have nothing blooming in August. They shouldn't ever do that again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is it about floral clocks? I have a couple in my post card collection also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The floral clock here has had a bit of a rough time over the past few years, but I actually walked past it last night and the blooms are not too bad at the moment. Winter approaching (we had severe floods earlier this week) so they won't last long.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that clock must look spectacular when in full bloom. So many plants and having different design each year is really neat.

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped by. For anyone who stumbled here, don't be shy to say 'hi' and let me know you've visited!